How you came out

• How did you come out to about being gay, lesbian, trans, intersex, non-binary, bi or queer?

Did you talk with your parents or friends? Was your sexuality a surprise to them or was it something they had known long before you were ready to share it with them?

Was it a positive experience for you? How did your friends and family react?

21st March Like
  • I never really came out to my parents, I guess they already knew or discovered it. It properly didn't help that I was working at the local gay bar and my mum showed up.

I was pretty 'selective' of who I came out to with friends. It was very much a 'need-to-know' basis. Being at an all boys high school, being closeted was the best option. The brave few guys who did come out weren't support by the school and the bullying was shit.

24 days ago Like
  • I really struggled coming out because I couldn’t accept how I really wanted to be. I was with a close friend and were just chilling at their place one day when I told her that I had something to say, and I told her that I was gay. She hugged me and didn’t make a big deal about it.

6 days ago Like

GayNZ.com is your digital hub of the LGBTQ+ community in Aotearoa New Zealand. Find the latest events and support local rainbow businesses.

Copyright © 2019 - 2020 GayNZ.com. All rights reserved.

Made with 🌈  in Tāmaki Makaurau Auckland, Aotearoa New Zealand